So you want to connect your ceiling fan remote to an app or maybe you’re in the planning phase of a smart home system where all your lights, fans, and other connected devices are controllable from a phone or tablet.
Ceiling fans and a lot of other fixtures in your home were not made with this in mind. The home automation world is still quite fragmented, meaning you’ll need to do extensive planning to ensure the systems and programs you decide to purchase will play nicely together.
Why a Smart Fan?
Smart thermostats like the Nest have been a huge hit in the home automation market. Just like most things in life, you don’t know how good it is or how much you like something until you have tried it. We think smart fans will fall into this feeling as well.
A more practical reason to turn a fan into a smart fan is that you can turn your old pull chain controlled fan into a fan that is now run off your phone. So when you lay in bed or sit on the couch and realize the fan needs to be adjusted or the light needs to go on or off, you don’t need to get up anymore to change it.
What are my options?
Recently some fans have it the market that is capable of being controlled by a phone or through Siri/Alexa. Hunter has introduced a line of smart fans that are HomeKit enabled, as well as a company called Haiku. Haiku fans are built with a Wi-Fi receiver inside and can turn on automatically with motion or as the temperature rises. Keep reading to see our review and comparison of these fans.
There is also a more DIY method which involves getting 3rd party products. Some of the top products in this space are the Insteon FanLinc, BOND smart fan controller, and GE Z-Wave switches. DIY options are great as you take take pretty much any fan and make it a smart one. There is some additional setup and technical knowledge involved however.
FanSync by Fanimation
Developed by Fanimation, FanSync works by installing a FanSync Bluetooth receiver in any AC motor, 3 speed fan. By installing the FanSync app on your Apple or Android device, you can fully control all fan functions. It is to note that you’ll need to hard wire the receiver into the fan itself which will take some technical knowledge and skills.
You can download the FanSync app below.
You will also need the FanSync receiver which you can purchase on Amazon.
Hunter Ceiling Fans with Apple HomeKit
If you’re an Apple user you can purchase a HomeKit enabled Hunter fan that will connect to your HomeKit app out of the box. Not an Apple user? No problem! This fan will also work with Amazon Alexa and other home automation devices thanks to its built-in Wi-Fi. There are three fans from Hunter that are enabled with this technology so you should be able to find one that fits your intended look and budget.
- Works with Amazon Alexa for voice control of fan speed and light dimming (Alexa device sold separately) - Connects directly to Alexa
- WhisperWind motor delivers ultra-powerful air movement with whisper-quiet performance so you get the cooling power you want without the noise you don't
- Reversible motor allows you to change the direction of your fan from downdraft mode during the summer to updraft mode during the winter
- For indoor use only, Includes Fan/Light Handheld Remote Control, Two position mounting system allows for standard or angled mounting
- Wi-Fi enabled for easy setup and seamless connected home capabilities, Works with Apple HomeKit and other home automation devices
Haiku ceiling fans – Amazon Alexa enabled
Haiku has received over 75 design awards for their smart ceiling fans. They are absolutely killing it in design and functionality and are receiving great reviews from their customers.
The L series fans come in 6 different finish combinations, are Energy Star certified by a mile (they claim they exceed requirements by 450%) and have 16 brightness levels from its stylish LED lighting. Its sound tested motor and chain free design make it one of the quieter ceiling fans on the market today.
Haiku fans are controlled by IR remote, a free mobile app, and Amazon Alexa if you have one.
- Works with Amazon Alexa to support dimming through voice control. Controlled by IR remote (included), Alexa device sold separately
- Factory-balanced and sound tested to ensure each L Series Ceiling Fan will never wobble, rattle or click
- Provides coverage for indoor spaces 15 x 15 feet with flat or sloped ceilings
- Energy Star certified (exceeds efficiency requirements by 450%)
- Integrated LED featuring 16 Distinct brightness settings
Best smart devices to make your existing ceiling fan a smart one
There are a few different options here depending on what you’re trying to get from your fan. Out of the four options, we have listed below, you should be able to find something that fits your needs. If you have an Amazon Alexa, your options are plentiful!
Bond Smart Ceiling Fan Controller
The BOND controller works are replicating the IR or RF frequency from any remote and replicate that signal via the BOND controller. Since the controller is Wi-FI enabled, you can control up to 6 fans from your phone, tablet, Alexa, Google Home and more.
BOND states that it can also integrate with Wi-FI connected thermostats such as the Nest, Honeywell, and other smart thermostats. This will allow the thermostat to turn the fan on once a temperature reaches a certain point. Very clever!
- MAKE YOUR CEILING FAN SMART IN SECONDS - BOND turns any remote controlled ceiling fan to a smart fan
- CONTROL UP TO 6 CEILING FANS - a single BOND can control up to 6 ceiling fans from one central location
- iOS and Android APP FOR QUICK SETUP
- NO INSTALLATION NEEDED - download the app | point your remote at the BOND and you are done
- INTEGRATION WITH ALEXA AND GOOGLE HOME
GE Z-Wave Switches
Looking for a more discreet option to control your ceiling fan? The GE Z-wave in-wall switches are a fantastic way to accomplish this. Z-Wave switches are installed within existing switch boxes. This means that you’ll have a standard looking install when finished. Be aware that you’ll need to wire to wire these inside the box, so be sure to follow safe procedures when installing.
Be aware that this switch only controls the fan and fan speeds. You’ll need a separate switch to run the lights, if applicable. There’s plenty of options when buying Z-Wave switches, for instance, you can install a switch for the lights with motion detection if you wish.
Out of the box, Z-Wave switches are compatible with the following Z-Wave certified hubs: SmartThings, Pulse, Trane, Nexia, Honeywell, Homeseer, Smart Security, Harmony Home Hub Extender, Vera, Connect and Iris.
- ALEXA COMPATIBLE - REQUIRES AN ALEXA SUPPORTED HUB for voice control with Echo Products (Alexa device and hub sold separately). CANNOT connect directly with ECHO PLUS (Only ZigBee products can connect directly to Echo Plus).
- Requires a Z-Wave certified gateway - Compatible with the following Z-Wave certified hubs: SmartThings, Pulse, Trane, Nexia, Honeywell, Homeseer, Smart Security, Harmony Home Hub Extender, Vera, Connect and Iris. Works with Alexa for voice control (hub Required, Alexa device and hub sold separately).
- Wirelessly control, adjust speed (low, medium and high) and program scheduled events for fans from anywhere.
- This smart fan control replaces a switch that only controls fans - lights must be on a separate switch.
- Requires in-wall installation with hard-wired connections - Neutral wire is required.
Insteon FanLinc Ceiling Fan and Light Controller
This controller is part of a broader spectrum of home automation. You’ll need an Insteon Hub to get this working on your phone or Alexa. The Insteon Hub will control a wide variety of things including lights, fans, cameras, thermostats and more.
We recommend this method to more smart home savvy users as it’s not plugged and play. You’ll need to wire the controller into the ceilings fan canopy and as mentioned earlier, you’ll need a smart hub to control it. We do recommend doing further research before making your purchase here as it will take a little planning to get it set up.
- Control a ceiling fan and light without running wires for a wall switch
- Fits inside most ceiling fan canopies
- High, Medium, Low and Off fan speed control
- Full dimming control for light kit
- Featuring dual-band Insteon technology for the fastest and most reliable performance